#2 The Law of Influence
21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership - John C. Maxwell
From the book “The 21 Laws of Leadership” by John C. Maxwell
#2 The True Measure of Leadership is Influence - Nothing More, Nothing Less
“If YOU DON’T HAVE INFLUENCE, you will never be able to lead others. So how do you measure influence?
IMPORTANT NOTE: You do not have to be a leader to have influence, however, you must have influence to be a leader.
Leadership is not a title or an assigned position. True leadership cannot be awarded, appointed, or assigned. It comes only from influence, and that can’t be mandated. It must be earned.
5 Myths about Leadership
1. The Management Myth - The only thing a title can buy is a little time - either to increase your level of influence with others or to erase it.
2. The Entrepreneur Myth - Entrepreneurs can sell, however, if they cannot hold long-term influence they cannot lead.
3. The Knowledge Myth - Knowledge is Power, however, one’s intelligence can be off the charts but it does not necessarily equate to leadership.
4. The Pioneer Myth - Being out in front of a crowd is not a leader. To be a leader, a person has to not only be out front, but also have people intentionally coming behind them, following their lead, and acting on his vision.
5. The Position Myth - It’s the leader that makes the position. Influence is more powerful than position.
Leadership is influence - nothing more, nothing less.
Leadership without leverage - The very essence of all power to influence lies in getting the other person to participate. - Harry A. Overstreet
NOTE: One way to test this theory is to send people out into the community as a volunteer. If they can inspire others to join them you know they have leadership ability.
If you can’t influence others, they won’t follow you. And if they won’t follow you, you’re not a leader. That’s the Law of Influence. Leadership is influence - nothing more, nothing less.
You can find smart, talented, successful people who are able to go only so far because of the limitations of their leadership.
Here is a link to obtain this wonderful read. [https://www.amazon.com/21-Irrefutable-Laws-Leadership-Anniversary/dp/0785288376/ref=nodl_?dplnkId=5b9a6a51-3890-432a-adf5-7abc8a4c9c76](https://www.amazon.com/21-Irrefutable-Laws-Leadership-Anniversary/dp/0785288376/ref=nodl_?dplnkId=5b9a6a51-3890-432a-adf5-7abc8a4c9c76)
I hope this book provides you with guidance for your journey.